Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Why Netflix Sucks Ass Right Now

Last week, a third DVD came in the mail from Netflix. I have a two-at-a-time plan plus unlimited streaming(somehow if you hook up a PS3 or Wii to the internet, Netflix can magically stream movies through it), so this third disc was a confusing suprise. I went onto the site to check what my queue said, but all it showed was 1., 2., and +. I don't know what the + means. Netflix has never had a very informative website. As much as they continue to change the format of it, they still don't make it more helpful.

I'm thinking the third disc was a bonus as to dull the blow they plowed everyone with the day after I got it. According to the company, they are changing their rate plans, simplifying them to benefit their customers.

Now, a company can change its policy at any time. That's what private business is all about. I don't have a problem with that.

What I do have a problem with is a company raising the rates of plans and saying that it's for the customers' benefit. Um, no, that's for your benefit, jerkface.

Right now, I pay a certain amount for two discs out at a time unlimited and unlimited streaming. Netflix is now splitting up the services, to accomodate me, and pricing them separately. So now if I want both discs and streaming, I have to pay more.

Someone show me how that benefits me please.

Here's the thing about the Netflix stream:

Yes, it sucks. I can never find the movies I want to watch on it. It has a very limited variety that constantly changes. The last few movies I watched through it were not from my queue. They were movies settled upon after getting tired and giving up the search for quality: Unthinkable (a Samuel L. Jackson movie where he plays a violent terrorist interrogator) and Solitary Man (a movie with Fitty Cent). Ugh.

I've taken to simply watching tv series I've always wanted to see. I watched all first six season of The Office so that I'm all caught up and can watch along with the world now. I watched two seasons of Party Down. Now I'm in the middle of the second season of Twin Peaks. These are all available on disc, but since it's the summer, I may as well lounge around a bit and take advantage while I can. Once the price increase comes, the streaming will most likely come to an end.

So really, Netflix, if you think your stream is really worth a higher price, you need to sign up for your own services. Guaranteed, you'll want to ask for a discount. But you won't be able to because you'll go to the website and you won't be able to find any way to contact the company. Because the website is constantly updated to confuse and distract you. Watch At Home!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry about your frustrations! I used to subscribe with Netflix but never really liked the services I was given so I moved on. Especially with the price increase coming up you might want to consider maybe something different like Blockbuster? I do know that since I subscribe and work with DISH Network that they are giving customers Blockbuster by mail free for 3 months and Blockbuster is giving Netflix customers who switch over 1 month free and a discounted forever rate. If you’re interested check it out http://bit.ly/khvWnc. :)

Christina said...

Thank you for your advertising, Alison. For the record, Blockbuster is still worse. I tried it once and they were horrible horrible horrible. As for DISH Network, I have Fios and it works just fine.

Anonymous said...

Netflix is awesome . The amount of shows and movies u can view for $8 a month. Your a spoiled kid who wants it all :p

Christina said...

@anonymous, yes, I'm very spoiled. two years later. way to be on top of things.