Sunday, May 29, 2011

For Whom The Clock Ticks

For about a week, my heart has been racing, I've been overly-anxious, and I haven't gotten a good night's sleep. I am in a daze, a paranoid, delusional daze.

It's the clock.

The clock that replaced the broken clock is the loudest clock ever. It's not like a grandfather clock, old and prestigious and gonging. No, it's the little clock that could. It's the clock that has something to prove. It's the clock that takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Remember that song by Heart: I hear the ticking of the clock. I'm lying here, pitch dark..... That first line ran through my head about a zillion times in the last few days. That's a low-ball estimate.


I couldn't take it anymore. It was driving me insane. Literally.

So while I laid in bed, trying to fall asleep, and hearing only tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick......

I ripped off the sheets, ran into the dining room, climbed up on a chair, took down the clock, and took the battery out, all in one swift, seamless movement.

Ahhhhhhh, silence! The best sound of all sounds!

I got the best sleep ever after doing that. The palpitations have vanished. No more ticking! No more ticking! That clock is going back from whence it came.

No comments: