Friday, May 13, 2011

Almost Bon Jovi

I actually wasn't overly excited to be seeing Bon Jovi at Nassau Coliseum. Since the last show, I'd realized that I've seen the same concert again and again the last few times I've gone because they're on their Greatest Hits tour doing their Greatest Hits album, and the album consists of most of the songs they've been playing on the last few tours. I figured after this one, I'd take a break. I was going to this one because my cousin Ka didn't get to go to the last few because she was pregnant and then had the baby. Somehow, our moms weaseled their way into our plans and so the four of us were off to see Bon Jovi, something Ka and I swore we'd never do again after the first time around with our moms when all they did was complain.

This time was different. We met up at Ka's house and off we went, Ka driving because she knew the way. Mind you, the concert was in the building right next to where I work, but since our moms said that Ka knows the way, we said, okay Ka's driving.

Once we got there, we found parking immediately and then went inside and found our section right away. Smooth sailing. Until I realized we had to walk down a whole bunch of stairs and my mom recently hurt her knee. So Ka when down to make sure we were going to the right place. Then as soon as we started our treck down the stairs, the lights went out and the opening act came on.

There was no need for this opening act. It was a rock violinist who sings back up on some of the tours. She's got a good voice and her violin thing is very cool. Still, no need.

So it took a good five minutes to get down the stairs and into the seats. We all chatted a little but mostly force-listened to the music since it was blaringly loud. I noticed my mom looking around, up and down, and around again. I asked like three times what was going on. Then she said, I have to go to the ladies room. My aunt had to go too.

So back up the stairs they went. Ka and I watched them go. I said, You know there's a 50% chance that they're not coming back. Ka agreed and then said, At least by the time they're done, the opening act will be over and the lights will be on.

Sure enough, it was a good ten minutes after the opening act ended that we spotted the two of them coming back down the steep stairs, holding hands. They were so focused on getting down the stairs that they completely walked past our row. I said to Ka, maybe they're going down and around. Ka said, No they didn't see us.

At that point, my aunt looked up and spotted me waving. She told my mom to turn around and up the stairs the two of them came, still holding hands, and at this point, laughing. So Ka and I were laughing hysterically too.

The concert soon began after that and thankfully the people in the row in front of us were normal and we had no one behind us so we had a solid time. The one main difference between this concert and all the other ones I've seen is that Richie Sambora is in rehab so instead of him on guitar, we had Phil Ex. Or Phil X. I'm not sure which one. I do know that on several of the guitar solos that are usually left up to Richie, this guy didn't do them. The guy who plays second guitar at all their concerts did them. So why that guy didn't just take over, I don't know.


The Set List:

LOST HIGHWAY
WE WEREN’T BORN TO FOLLOW
BAD NAME
BORN TO BE MY BABY
SUPERMAN TONIGHT -- during this song, the screens on stage show a bunch of people throughout history and in current pop culture and there was my mom, cheering for the people on the screens--Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon, and I think Rosa Parks but I'm not sure
THE MORE THINGS CHANGE
IT’S MY LIFE
RUNAWAY
WE GOT IT GOING ON
BAD MEDICINE WITH ROADHOUSE BLUES and OLD TIME ROCK N' ROLL
LAY YOUR HANDS ON ME
WHAT DO YOU GOT?
BED OF ROSES
I’LL BE THERE FOR YOU
SATURDAY NIGHT
WHO SAYS YOU CAN'T GO HOME
SLEEP WHEN I'M DEAD
HAVE A NICE DAY
KEEP THE FAITH

ENCORE

IN THESE ARMS
WANTED -- It was at this point when Jon Bon Jovi mentioned that Richie isn't doing so well right now but he's going to get better. Then he asked for our help on this song. People sing along anyway. It was kind of sad at the end of the song. Usually he raises his guitar up with Richie alongside of him doing the same. This time, that didn't happen. Sigh.
LIVIN' ON A PRAYER

Somewhere in there towards the end, some Stones came out too. JBJ was strutting around stage like Mick Jagger. Our moms really enjoyed that. My aunt also enjoyed when he gave the finger to the camera during some lyrics about people thinking something about being old. Obviously, you're only as old as you think you are. If you, say, hold hands when going up and down the stairs, obviously your mindset is "not old."
Then the lights came up and we stood and waited for the filing out to begin as we had to take to the steps one more time.

One of the best parts of the concert had nothing to do with the music. It had to do with the steps to nowhere. You know when you're in a stadium and you want to leave, you simply go to the aisle of stairs closest to you, you focus on the steps right in front of you so you don't fall, and you simply go up? Yeah, well, for some reason, one set of stairs in our section ended at the wall behind our seats. So anyone leaving the seats below and heading up didn't realize they had nowhere to go until they finally took a peek up and got to the wall. And if the wall wasn't enough to show them they had nowhere to go, there was a sign on the wall that said No Exit.

This? Was fabulous. I can't tell you how entertaining it is to watch people suddenly see a wall in front of them, look around trying to decide what to do, and then realize the only thing to do is go back down and around to another set of stairs.

Or they could hop over the wall, which is what people started doing at the end of the concert since there was a whole line of people climbing up those stairs.

We slowly made our way to the top and my mom decided she wanted to go to the bathroom. There was a really long line and I pointed that out to her. She said, no there's not, and she pushed open the door next to her. That was the door to the back of the snack bar where the workers go. Proving once again why it is we don't take our moms out in public.

Instead, we walked to the car and took 45 minutes to get out of the parking lot and back to Ka's house. We found the bathroom there with no problem.

No comments: