Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Staying Golden

I "won" this stuff.  I don't go to the movies a lot.  Even though I have Netflix and a bunch of movie channels that Eddie got for free by harassing the Fios people when renewing our contract, I rarely see any movies that are nominated for awards.  However, sometimes I'm a good guesser, so when presented with a list of nominees, I can narrow down the winner.

Like this:

The nominees for best actor are...

Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave)
Idris Elba (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom)
Tom Hanks (Captain Phillips)
Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)
Robert Redford (All is Lost)
12 Years A Slave and Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom cancel each other out because they are movies about gaining freedom.

Captain Phillips and All Is Lost cancel each other out because they are both about boats (and because I'm a racist).

Therefore, the Golden Globe would go to Matthew McConaughey for Dallas Buyers Club, and also because he was in Wolf Of Wall Street for like five minutes and was spectacular there, too.  Is that not how it works? 

And the Golden Globe DID go to Matthew McConaughey.  See?  That IS how it works.  Which means my system is foolproof unless there are other categories with other nominees which there are which means I'm not very good at this.

But because I got seven guesses right, I was sometimes privy to grab-bag gifts courtesy of S and her annual Golden Globes bash.  The grab-bag apparently consisted of "stuff S and R are trying to get rid of from their place." Some things not pictured that Eddie or I grabbed were a plastic dolphin and a different kids meal toy.  They made their way back into the bag.

Also pictured is one of the cups that we used for drinks, which is cute in itself, but look at the initials. S found stickers that you can scratch into to show that the cup is yours.  Genius! 

Eddie, who watches no television at all and pays no attention to pop culture, read an article about the Golden Globes and guessed like 12 right.  Maybe reading an article is a better system than my non-logical logic.  Everyone got right around 8.  Then here comes L, just like every year, getting like almost every one right and winning everything.
Winning is not only about the grab bag.  We bet nickels.  At the end, there are a lot of nickels in the pot.  Every year, L winds up taking everyone's nickels.  She has no system.  She has no articles.  Dare I say, she watches movies?  
Incidentally, Eddie and I saw Captain Phillips in the movies when it first came out, and if not for stupid Robert Redford On A Raft, he would have won.  And to not be nominated for the Academy Award?  For shame, Oscar, for shame!

No comments: