Wednesday, August 17, 2011

How To Get A Free Cuppa

I have been reading some British authors here and there, and whenever they get a cup of coffee, they call it a cuppa. That's my interpretation from the context. So I'm starting a new trend in American English by stealing that word.

T and I met up at Starbucks. The past few times we've done so, a torrential downpour ensued. We agreed that if it happened one more time, we were never going there again. Thankfully, it didn't rain at all.

However, they didn't have any more coconut.

Coconut syrup is apparently a seasonal flavor. Towards the beginning of the summer, T had gotten iced tea and the barrista gave her a sample of the coconut. T was hooked. She's been getting it often.

So it was only natural that she order ice tea with coconut. The guy at the register said, We are out. The woman next to him said, It's seasonal but some other stores might still have it. At the same time I said, Now you've ruined her day!, T said, Now my day is ruined!

The coconut? Is good.

After a bit more explanation about where the coconut has gone and when it will return and how it's like the flavors at fall and winter and after ordering a red velvet whoopie pie for us to share, T got out her wallet to settle up.

The guy tells her, it's just for the whoopie pie and the drink is on the manager. The manager looked up and smiled.

Free! Free! We love free! The day was no longer ruined!

That's what I call good customer service. I immediately contemplated asking for three shots of coconut in my decaf, but figured another round of "You've ruined my day" would not work itself into my favor. It probably would have lead to, Weren't you paying attention when we went through the history of coconut syrup? So I dutifully got my decaf with nothing fancy. Oh, and the whoopie pie was okay, but it did not make me shout Whoopie! Anything with the name whoopie in it should make one shout Whoopie! and so it was a little bit of a letdown.

2 comments:

bryan-in-greece said...

A cuppa is almost always a cup of tea for us British rather than coffee, Christina. Coffee, to a large extent, is still considered a "foreign" beverage in Britain - by contrast, people here in Greece imagine that I have a sore throat if I tell them that I am having a cup of tea - a cuppa! :-)

Christina said...

Ohhhhhhhh. That makes much more sense now, being that tea is the go-to drink rather than coffee. Actually, that makes this post make more sense since T was getting tea, not coffee. Thanks!